Hey folks! We just wrapped up our last day of work here in Soran. Tomorrow we head to Erbil and then begin our journey back to the States. This update will have to be brief, but here's what we've been up to this week.
- We were invited to visit the mayor's office. He was eager to tell us more about Kurdish history, and we were able to discuss the role of World Orphans (our host organization) in the current refugee crisis.
- We did some miscellaneous maintenance work around the community center and installed cabinets and countertops in what will eventually be a new kitchen for community events.
- We hosted a men's discussion group and were blessed with some deep conversations about faith.
- The ladies in our group facilitated more maternal health classes in the camps.
- We were able to deliver the first round of heating oil to about 40 of the roughly 100 families to keep them warm with winter fast approaching.
- And finally, a huge praise, World Orphans learned this week that they were awarded a grant to get the remaining families in tents into more permanent housing for winter. Construction had already begun when we visited earlier today.
Finally, while we haven't been involved in discipleship with local believers, the new that has been shared with us had been incredibly encouraging. For their safety, I should be cautious about what I post online, but I look forward to sharing more with you once I return!